The Musician’s Pension Fund of Canada (MPF Canada) receives contributions made by employers of musicians on their behalf. Below are a few key things to know about the MPF Canada and the Plan.
Who Are We?
- The MPF Canada was established in 1962 as a result of collective bargaining between employers and the American Federation of Musicians/Canadian Federation of Musicians
- MPF Canada provides a Pension Plan for eligible members. Only employers contribute to the Plan; employee contributions aren’t permitted.
- Employer contributions are held in a Trust to provide benefits to eligible members and their beneficiaries.
- The Plan is a registered under the Ontario Pension Benefits Act and under the Income Tax Act.
- The Fund currently has over $800 million in assets.
What Does the Plan Do for You?
The MPFC Fund’s Pension Plan provides eligible members with one of several types of pension benefits:
- Normal Pension
- Early Pension
- Disability Pension
- Pre-retirement Death Benefits
What Do You Need to Do?
To continue your Plan participation, you must have at least one pensionable engagement within each six month-period for the first 24 months you are a Plan participant. A pensionable
engagement is a work-related contract that requires your employer to make a Plan contribution on your behalf.
For More Information…
A special information session is being hosted by the Hamilton Musicians Guild on Wednesday, April 24 from 1pm to 3pm at the Guild Office, 20 Hughson Street South, Suite 401, Hamilton. The session is open to all Guild members and any musicians who are interested in finding out about how the pension fund works. To attend, call 905-525-4040.
For more Plan information, answers to frequently asked questions and for examples about how benefits are calculated, please visit the Fund’s website: www.mpfcanada.ca. There you can register your email address and access our member self-service portal. The self-service portal allows you to update your personal information and see the pension contributions made by employers on your behalf.
For questions about the Fund, the Plan or your benefit, email us at email@example.com or write us at Musician’s Pension Fund of Canada, 200 Yorkland Blvd., Suite 605, Toronto, ON M2J 5C1.